Sustainability…the Ibstock Way
Sustainability is at the core of our strategy. As the UK’s leading brickmaker we are very aware of the impact our operations and products can have on the environment and communities in which we operate. Our aims are to:
- Continue to work with local communities.
- Achieve zero workplace accidents.
- Increase the amount of recovered water we use.
- Use our resources in the most efficient manner possible to reduce waste.
- Reduce the amount of energy we use by improved process control.
- Continue to investigate alternative sustainable forms of energy.
- Our manufacturing network enables more products to be delivered locally.
- We provide high levels of skill and stable employment within communities.
- We support local, often rural, communities and are the biggest employer in some areas.
- We support local contractors and source local materials where possible.
- We have an active corporate social responsibility programme including social welfare programmes.
- We sponsor many local clubs and societies.
- We financially support community projects through the Ibstock Cory Environmental Trust under the Landfill Tax Credit Scheme.
- We maintain our established policy of investment in high efficiency/low carbon technologies.
- Chesterton, the new Ibstock factory and one of the largest investments in the Potteries ceramics industry for over a decade, is setting world-beating standards for sustainability and energy efficiency.
- We have and continue to heavily invest in energy efficient projects.
- We publish an annual environmental report available on our website.
- We partner several university research projects including the development of alternative energy sources.
- All our manufacturing units source their materials responsibly and are certified to BES 6001.
- All our manufacturing units are independently verified and registered to ISO 14001, the International Environmental Management Standard and ISO 9001, the International Quality Management Standard.
- Our bricks, on average, travel only 82 miles reducing traffic congestion, vehicle emissions and fuel usage.
- We undertake pro-active research in environmental technology which has included fluorine reduction at our Leicester factory.
- We have on-going continuous improvement programmes at all our factories with benchmarking of key performance improvement indicators.
- We are the first brickmaker to achieve ISO 50001, the new Energy Management Standard.
- We operate some of the most energy efficient factories in Europe with proven energy reduction year-on-year.
- On average our products contain 10% re-cycled secondary or waste material, extending the use of valuable clay resources.
- Water, a key commodity in brickmaking, is recovered and re-cycled wherever possible. Over 40% of all water used is recovered water.
- All process waste up to the kiln-firing stage is re-cycled.
- 13.6MW of electricity is generated from Landfill gas on our sites, enough to power 17,000 homes.
- Raw materials are sourced responsibly, with full restoration of our clay extraction sites, which are often used for the creation of local amenities.
BREEAM, BRE Green Guide and BES 6001
BREEAM is an environmental assessment method by which new buildings are assessed against set criteria providing an overall score. Materials for these assessments are sourced through information obtained from BRE’s “Green Guide”. External wall specifications, when assessed in conjunction with this guide, are given a points rating from “A+” to “E”. All brick cladding specifications listed in the Green Guide achieve the highest (A+) rating.
Being certified under BES 6001 demonstrates compliance with a recognised responsible sourcing scheme which is certified through a third party and which is supported by UKCG members and who give preference to procuring products demonstrating such compliance.